The high temperatures of summer don’t just make for perfect outdoor gathers but also a perfect environment for fleas. Fleas are parasitic insects that feed on warm-blooded animals like your cats and dogs. Fleas can live almost anywhere but when they get into your house they can cause you a real headache.
Fleas love warm and humid conditions which makes Georgia a perfect habitat for these parasites to thrive. They can live almost anywhere in your yard but prefer shady areas like under trees and porches – places your pets love to lay to escape the intense sun. Fleas on cats and dogs are the number one way fleas can enter your home.
Fleas are able to jump 7-8 inches vertically and 14-16 inches horizontally. When they sense the warm blood of our furry friends they jump on, turning our pets into unwilling Trojan horses. Once inside our homes, fleas can jump off and live in our carpet and furniture where the female can lay up to 2,000 eggs in her short, six-month live cycle.
Adult fleas account for about 5% of the total flea population in your house. Eggs, larvae, and pupa account for the other 95%. So that means that active fleas are just the tip of the iceberg. As eggs fall off your pets they land in your carpet and can lay dormant for a very long time until activated by the presence of a warm body. This means you could think you have solved the flea problem but it could return with a vengeance at any time.
The best way to battle fleas is to sweep and vacuum often to ensure you pick up all the eggs. Even just one egg hatching can quickly turn into an infestation.
Apply flea spray to your carpet and furniture, such as Raid flea killer, to kill off any fleas that you may have missed
Since the flea problem began when your pets brought them in you’ll need to make sure that there are no more fleas lurking under their fur. You can help the situation by using a flea comb to comb out fleas but your best bet is to kill them and prevent them from coming back. Ask your vet about flea medication that can eliminate and prevent fleas from returning.
If you don’t like the idea of spraying chemicals in your home there are plenty of home remedies for fleas.
Obviously the best way to prevent fleas from hitching a ride into your home on your cat or dog is to eliminate fleas in your yard. At Environmental Turf Management, we work with homeowners to apply safe and effective flea and tick control methods.