One tough 5-year-old boy by the name of Mason McNair was staying at his grandparent’s house in LaGrange Georgia when they spotted a tick on his belly button.
They removed the tick immediately assuming little Mason was good to go and tick free. Unfortunately, Mason started to develop a rash and it was evident his tick bite was becoming infected.
Mason started to carry symptoms that suggested something really wasn’t right. He was fatigued, had diarrhea, and a high fever.
Mason went to the doctor and was prescribed a dose of antibiotics that were intended to clear up any infection he may have gotten. To everyone’s surprise, his symptoms got worse in a matter of 10 days.
Along with all of his original symptoms, Mason developed sharp pains in his abdomen and a full head to toe rash. The doctor assumed it was a bad reaction to the antibiotics, however, his mother wasn’t buying it. She wanted a second opinion.
Good thing they did.
Mason’s new doctors confirmed that he contracted “Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.”
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is a bacterial infection that can lead to the amputation of limbs, hearing loss, paralysis, and mental disabilities.
He was immediately given new antibiotics and has since made a full recovery to good health.
Mason’s mother has advice for other moms as she wrote on Facebook:
“This has been a horribly scary experience for our family. I’m thankful that I did my own research and brought it to my doctor’s attention. So don’t EVER be afraid to be an advocate for your child or yourself when it comes to things like this!”
Beware of tick bites and never be afraid to see a doctor if you suspect any kind of infection. Mason’s a trooper and a great example of why it’s important to follow up when you know something’s not right!